Do You Need to Work on Cash? Know Your Work Rights : Jobs Near Me

It is legal to earn cash for so many job types in Canada and U.S. Workers working in construction, cleaning, temp agencies, service industry of any day labor jobs can get paid in cash. Even in the restaurant industry or any other sector where tips are paid in cash, there is an opportunity to earn cash. Cash jobs near me is a frequent query of people in North America and Canada. So, this blog will add up to their information and would help them find cash jobs without any stress.

There is a big phobia of working on cash in North America because most of the people think it is illegal. However, that is not completely true. If you get paid in cash and don’t have valid work permit, don’t have a Social Insurance Number, don’t’ have immigration status, you still have rights under basic labor laws. So, it is very important to be knowledgeable about your rights so that your rights do not get violated at workplace. It is also advisable to be aware about your employer’s details, pay rate and work criteria as it can help you to defend your work rights, receive appropriate wages or to file a complaint.

How Much You Get Paid in Cash?

Now you know that it is legal to get paid in cash however, the pay remains at the minimum wage in the area. Your employer is supposed to give you record of salary or “pay slip” or “salary slip” every time you are being paid. The pay slip should state how many hours did you work, what the pay rate is, how much overtime hours you worked, any public holidays, vacation, deductions for the taxes, Employment Insurance (EI), Canada Pension Plan (CPP).

Stats show that the employers who pay in cash usually avoid you give you any pay slips because they want to avoid tax payments or any other employer contributions. But do not panic if you don’t have a payslip, you still have rights until and unless you maintain your own record of hours worked and wages paid.

How to Protect Yourself While Working on Cash?

  • Make a personal diary or use your phone to keep the notes of the working hours, dates, and location where you worked. Also, keep the record of any accidents or problems occurred there.
  • Write down all the information about your employer, that is the name of the employer, name of the company, their work and home address, their phone number and license plate number. Make sure you keep all the communication data with your boss such as emails, calls, texts, and letters.
  • Beware, that your employer does not need to know your home address. If needs nay address and you do not feel safe, then you can provide another mailing address which is accessible to you collect the mails.
  • Most importantly, only share your immigration status with the people you trust by your heart.
  • Make notes of the money you have been paid and when it is paid. Keep record copies of the email transfers, pay checks, payday loan receipts or any other evidence that shows your employer is paying you. Wherever possible make sure to deposit all your cash pay into your bank account so that if needed bank statements could be used as evidence in case you face any violation.
  • Do you know you can still qualify for EI, even if you are working on cash? That is why it is very important to have your own record of your hours worked and wages paid so that you can apply for an EI as soon as you stop working.
  • You can immediately call the Workers’ Action Centre to get help if you think your rights have been violated. All these calls are free and confidential.

No Work Permit? No Immigration Status? You Still have Rights

If you do not have valid social insurance number (SIN) or work permit, and you do not have any status, you still have basic work rights under labor laws. It comprises of employment standards, health and safety, the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) and the human rights. THE WSIB pays compensation to the workers who have been injured at work.

If your rights are violated, you can file a complaint at the Ministry of Labor. WSIB and Ministry of Labor are not supposed to share your immigration status with the federal government. The ministry of labor can get you the wages you are owned even if you have left the country. Many of the workers get threatened of being deported or losing their jobs at workplace because of incomplete documents. But there always ways of protecting of yourself if you are fighting for unpaid wages or defending your rights.

Stay tuned with us for more useful articles related to your professional life.

Comments are closed